Yield: 1 x 10 inch pie
4 large eggs, separated (4 yolks)
4 small lemons (zest 2 and juice all 4)
½ cup white sugar
½ cup butter, cold and cut into 9 cubes
Pie shell (10 inch, par-baked)
4 egg whites
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 400F convection bake. Par-bake pie crust for 8-9 minutes, then remove to cool
- In a heavy sauce pot, combine lemon juice, sugar, and egg yolks. Stir well over medium heat until scalded. Turn temperature up slightly and whisk in butter cubes one at a time, allowing each to melt before adding the next.
- Once all butter is incorporated, remove from heat and prepare merengue
- To prepare merengue, combine water and sugar in a heavy saucepot over medium high heat and reduce by half volume. While syrup is reducing, whip egg whites to soft peaks, then careful add hot syrup very slowly as the merengue finishes to stiff peak stage.
- Carefully fill pie crust with the lemon curd, the carefully spread the merengue on top. Bake at 400F convection bake for 5-7mins, until the merengue is browned. Allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Serve chilled. Bon appetite!
Perfect Pie Dough Recipe
Ingredients: Yield 3 x 10 inch pie shells
20 ounces flour, all purpose
2 teaspoons salt
6 ounces lard, frozen
5 ounces butter, frozen
1 large egg, white vinegar, water: crack the egg into a clear measuring cup and mix it slightly. Carefully add vinegar into the cup until you reach the 4 ounces of liquid measure then add water until the 6 ounces measure. Stir together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F convection bake
- Sift flour into large bowl and whisk in salt
- Using a box grater, grate the frozen lard and butter into the mix with the ribbon face
- Cut the fat into the flour with a pastry cutter until you reach the medium meal stage
- Pour in the water/egg/vinegar and stir quickly with a spatula. Finish the dough by hand, gently pressing and kneading until you have a solid ball.
- Split the dough into 3 equal pieces, and wrap individually. Dough may be frozen and thawed in the fridge later, or held in the fridge for 3 days
- Lightly dust a large, sterilized surface with AP flour, dust your rolling pin, and roll out the dough as thin as you can ( ½ – ¼ cm is best)
- Cut the dough into your desired shape, use a bit of water to help pinch any edges you are forming, brush with a kiss of egg wash, sprinkle with raw sugar, and bake at 400F for 12-14 minutes – until the edges are golden and the filling is set.