4 large egg yolks
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups whipping cream (35%)
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon espresso, fine ground
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (or 1 vanilla bean)
- In a heavy bottom saucepot, combine 1 ¼ cups of whipping cream, 3 tablespoons of white sugar, and 1 teaspoon of espresso powder. Allow the cream to scald, but do not allow to boil. Once scalded, strain the mix through some cheesecloth into a new saucepot.
- Prepare a double boiler on the stovetop. In a large bowl, melt chocolate. Once melted, add in egg yolks and cook over the double boiler for 3 mins, stirring continuously with a rubber spatula
- Slowly temper in the cream mixture and stir continuously. Once all is added, strain the mixture through a sieve into another bowl and chill until cooled
- In an electric mixer, combine ¾ cup of whipping cream with 2 tablespoons of icing sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla, then whip until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the cooled chocolate mix into the whipped cream with a spatula, then pour into serving dishes and chill in the refrigerator until set
Vanilla Macerated Strawberries Ingredients
8 medium strawberries, sliced
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Slice the strawberries thinly, then place in a shallow frying pan. Cook slowly over low heat until the berries soften and the juice is released
- Add one teaspoon vanilla extract and gently stir until mixed
- Remove berries to cool in the refrigerator
Top the chilled mousse with the cooled berries, and serve cold. Holds up to 3 days in the fridge. Bon appetit!
Yield 20 ounces